What is public health? Wanna find out? Students in the USF Intro to Public Health class have chosen strategic areas in the Tampa Bay community that they feel represent public health in action. This blog is dedicated to explaining, understanding, and discussing what their interpretations of exactly what the heck is.... public health?!



Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Eating in a Smoke-Free Environment!!


Our blog group decided to place our public health sticker in Panera Bread located on Bruce B Downs. The reason why we chose this location is not only because it is close to the University of South Florida campus but it is also an eco-friendly environment, healthy and nutritious food is served, it is very student oriented and provides the ability to meet with other classmates to accomplish schoolwork and other activities. We chose the non-smoking sign because it is the first thing you see when you open the door to the restaurant, which lets the customers know that it is a clean and non-smoking environment. This sign also shows the customers that Panera Bread as a company is concerned about their customers’ health and well being while dining in their restaurant. This place is safe for families to bring their children as well because the risk of having second hand smoke is not a factor when finding a place to dine. Smoking in restaurants represents a public health issue because nicotine is toxic to the air, harmful to the lungs of the smokers and the people around them and it is also a major contributing factor to second hand smoking. Not only does smoking cause heart disease, lung disease and lung cancer, but it is a major cause of death that kills thousands a year. This issue is important because with the reduction of smoking, it promotes a healthier environment for people and their families and reduces health problems that could eventually kill you in the future if not taken care of sooner than later.

Group Members:

Chadia Ramirez, Marie Macean,

Tamarah Louis-Jean, Jasmyn Sewell


10 comments:

  1. I think it was a very good idea to do your blog post on smoking. It amazes me that not too long ago you could smoke in restaurants and expose innocent children to the dangers of second-hand smoke. It's important to keep the public safe from the harmful toxins cigarettes give off, especially when they did not even choose that lifestyle. I think even more non-smoking areas should be implemented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pascal said....
    I find the above location very interesting since it represents a place where people congregate. The non-smoking sign is of great importance because second hand smoke is not only unpleasent but toxic as well. In todays society, nobody should have to be subjected to cigarette smoke and have the right to clean air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Panera bread is actually one of my favorite places to eat because of thier healthy selection of food. Plus, having a non-smoking policy indoors is crucial to public health. It may not be helping smokers quit, but the purpose is to prevent smokers from exposing those toxins into a family environment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think preventing public smoking is extremely relevant to public health. I understand that because it is a free country, people are going to be able to choose to smoke, but I appreciate that where they can smoke has been regulated. My father has lung cancer, and I have seen how debilitating the treatment can be. Second-hand smoke is not something that I personally want to be exposed to knowing the carcinogenic factors involed with it and when I have children I am not going to want them exposed to it. By begining the regulations now, I believe that we are on the right track to decreasing unwanted exposure to second-hand smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought doing the public health sticker activity a restaurant was a great idea because it something that affects millions of people. I can relate because i work at olive garden and till this day people are always asking about smoking areas in the restaurant. We don't have a sign where i think we should but i always smile and tell them we don't have a smoking area and its a law not that prohibits smoking in restaurants. What i like is when people come in and they automatically smell the Italian food and cant wait to sit down and eat. No smoking in restaurants has reduced second-hand smoking by a lot. I am happy I get to work in a safe clean air environment. (John Rios)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that Panera was a great place to place the public health sticker. I know as a college student that Panera is a great place to eat and study with friends and the fact that they are promoting no smoking makes me feel like it is a clean place. I'd be discouraged to eat somewhere that didn't care about their guests and their guests health. I think more restaurants should implement this policy or make it more noticeable so guests are not at risk of breathing in cigarette smoke toxins

    ReplyDelete
  8. The laws have been implemented in Florida for so long that it's hard to believe you even used to be able to smoke inside buildings and restaurants! About 2 years ago I went to a conference in Birmingham, AL and the hostess at IHOP asked if we wanted to be seated in smoking or non-smoking and I almost thought she was joking! I would never have thought to take my sticker to a restaurant because I'm so used to there not being any smoking allowed in restaurants, but thank you for reminding me how much I appreciate this law! Now that I'm older I'm thankful my children will never have to worry about being exposed to second hand smoke while eating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This area of public health I really agree with, especially after class discussion about the real risks of second hand smoke I have become even more careful about the environment I am in. For example, I used to not worry about the second hand smoke from clubs and bars in the area, but now I am more reluctant to go out because I consider the real adverse effects it may have on my health.
    I really like Panera for their healthy options and commitment to environmental sustainability as well like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I suppose I've selected an unbelievable and interesting blog. stingray brass clone

    ReplyDelete