What is public health? Wanna find out? Students in the USF Intro to Public Health class have chosen strategic areas in the Tampa Bay community that they feel represent public health in action. This blog is dedicated to explaining, understanding, and discussing what their interpretations of exactly what the heck is.... public health?!



Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Handrails are Public Health



Andrea Anger

Ann Mislovic

Candice Deschaine

Kendria McLean

Shalee Beckford

In the process of completing the task of applying our " This is Public Health" sticker to a location that constitutes a public heath issue, we chose to place it on a railing going down and up a set of stairs at the M.O.S.I. building. In the picture above, our group members who stand from left to right include Ann Mislovic, Kendria McLean, Candice Deschaine, Shalee Beckford, and Andrea Anger.

Hand rails on staircases are considered a Public Health service that prevents injuries, while walking up or down a set of stairs, before the injuries can can take place. The railing represents a Public Heath Issue because it prevents injuries while walking down or up a set of stairs. This is an important issue because it is applying the primary prevention method to prevent the risk factor before it happens. This is a Public Health safety precautionary measure.

Our group carefully planned out the location that we decided to place our sticker because we wanted to find a place that not everyone notices everyday that is considered Public Health. Public Health, as defined by The Future of Public Health, is organized work that ensures conditions to be healthy to assure that people will live longer and more healthy lives. Stemming from this definition, the railing going down a set of stairs takes primary action to prevent a risk before it occurs. If a person is walking or running up a set of stairs, he or she is at an incline that takes extra effort on the body and may have the dangers of falling or gaining an injury. To prevent this from occurring several times, a rail was placed to ensure public safety. You should take precautionary measures next time you go up or down a set of stairs by using the railing.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely Public Health. Just the other day, I was running up the stairs and stumbled and fell. Of course this is quiet embarrassing, but hey we are humans right? Things happen. I ended up injuring my knee pretty bad, and no longer do I run up or down stairs. But duh, why didn't I use the rail that is provided. Now I definitely fear stairs that do not provide rails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so crazy to me! Public Health really is everywhere. I have never though of handrails or any thing else like that as public health. I feel like in todays society we have so much provided for us that you start to forget what we would all do with out these simple primary preventative measures.I really enjoyed this post because it brought attention to something that goes unnoticed everyday. Great Idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I can really relate to this topic since I am sometimes careless when going up and down a flight of stairs. I would have never guessed that a railing would be considered a part of public health, but when I think about it, you guys are actually right. I have fallen and slid down stairs so may times that it isn't even funny anymore. I could have saved myself numerous amounts of scars by just holding the railing. Now, I almost always use handrails when using the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just goes to show how all too often we go about our lives and don't even stop to think how or why something is there. Railings are an expectation that most of us have without ever realising that it is public health. I think this was a great choice for this project and definitely a very unique one. As someone who has fallen down her fair share of steps and is more than a little afraid of heights, railings are something that I rely on to keep me safe and to give me peace of mind. Good Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so true, the hand rail is one of the most public health asset when it comes to building safety. I had a cousin of mine that fell down the stairs cause the building didn't have a handrail. It was pretty weird to see a educational building without a handrail. But after reading this its even more clear to me that almost all building should have handrails. Good Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with DBrave. I have a 9 year old sister and when she was 4 she broke her wrist after falling at the mall. Apparently they were replacing a strip of railing and she found that spot while looking at a display. I'm not an emotional guy but I do have to say seeing a 4 year old little girl with a full cast can do a number on your hear strings. Good choice of topic.

    ReplyDelete